How to Spend a Rainy Day in Amsterdam
Rain is part and parcel of daily life in the Dutch capital, but that’s no reason for your plans to be dampened. From museum visits to cultural experiences, here are your best bets for staying dry while making the most of your time in Amsterdam.
- Immerse yourself in Dutch heritage at Amsterdam’s Rijksmuseum or Van Gogh Museum, using skip-the-line admission to escape the rain faster, or check out some of the city’s less-crowded, more-bohemian options, such as the Hash, Marihuana, and Hemp Museum or FOAM Gallery.
- Keep kids entertained and out of the rain at the NEMO Science Museum.
- This Is Holland uses multisensory technology to fly you right over the Netherlands’ top attractions, without leaving the building—a great way to explore if it’s too wet to wander outside.
- Don’t miss out on seeing the city just because it’s raining—book a hop-on hop-off tour to discover Amsterdam from a dry seat on a closed-top, double-decker bus.
- Experience local culture by getting cozy in an Amsterdam coffee shop, taking a turn around the city’s traditional pubs, or sampling plenty of tasters at the former Heineken Brewery.
- Tuck into local cuisine with an authentic Amsterdam dinner at De Hallen’s covered food market or a personalized dining experience in the home of a local.