The Fitzwilliam Museum is one of Cambridge’s best museums, and is high up on the agenda for many visitors to the university city. Hop-on hop-off bus tours stop nearby. Some sightseeing tours pass by the museum, though few venture inside to the galleries, which host everything from Egyptian artifacts to Flemish and Dutch paintings.
Explore the collections independently or use the audio guides, which are available for download from the museum’s eGuide app. In-person guided introductory tours are sometimes available; tickets can be prebooked at the museum or at the Cambridge Tourist Information Centre.
Things to know before you go
- Entry to the Fitzwilliam Museum is free, though donations are welcome
- There are coin-operated lockers, a staffed cloakroom, an on-site café, and a shop.
- Pick up a map at the entrance desk to help you navigate.
- The museum is wheelchair-accessible via the courtyard entrance.
How to get there
The Fitzwilliam Museum is situated south of the center of Cambridge, about a 10-minute stroll from Market Square. For those in the city center, the best way to get here is on foot, as there is no visitor parking at the site. The Route U bus runs between Cambridge train station and the museum.
When to get there
The Fitzwilliam Museum has regular opening hours throughout the week, but it’s best to check the opening schedule in advance, as it may be closed on certain days—for example, on Mondays or bank holidays. The museum is busiest on weekends and during school vacations. If visiting then, come in the morning to avoid the afternoon rush.
The Family-Friendly Fitzwilliam
The Fitz has a family-friendly approach, with strollers welcome in all galleries, baby-changing facilities, and a children’s menu in the café. If you’re coming with kids, pick up a Fitz Kit box, which comes with interactive games and puzzles to help keep younger visitors engaged, and follow kid-friendly gallery trails. The museum also hosts various child-oriented events, including drop-in arts and crafts sessions on the first Saturday of the month.
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Oxford
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Southampton
- Things to do in Bristol
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Cardiff
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in Yorkshire