The Anhinga trail departs from the Royal Palm Visitor Center, where you can stop in to get more information about the trail and park. If exploring the trails on your own, stop to read the informational plaques along the route and scan for alligators surrounding the boardwalk. Alternatively, if you don’t want to risk missing any of the information or wildlife, join a ranger-led walk. You can get more information about ranger programs at any of the park visitor centers.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Anhinga Trail is a perfect intro to the Everglades and ideal for visitors with limited time.
- While the boardwalk offers a safe viewing platform to observe alligators and other wildlife, avoid doing anything to intentionally disturb the animals.
- The paved walkway is easy to navigate with wheelchairs or strollers.
- Be prepared for mosquitos by bringing bug spray or long sleeve clothing.
How to Get There
From the main park entrance and Ernest F. Coe Visitor Center, take State Highway 9336 for 2 miles (3.2 kilometers) and then follow signs for the Royal Palm Visitor Center. The Anhinga Trail departs from the visitor center.
When to Get There
The dry season (winter) offers the best wildlife viewing opportunities because the alligators and anhingas are breeding, adding to more activity. Plus, the shrinking slough concentrates the wildlife closer to the boardwalk.
Top Activities in Everglades National Park One of the most popular activities in the park is bird watching. You can view birds from the trails or take a kayak or canoe tour and get deeper into the park. In fact, the water trails are another of the park’s main draws. Adventurous travelers can even take a multi-day kayak or canoe trip and camp at backcountry sites along the way. There are also drive-up campsites in the park.
- Things to do in Florida
- Things to do in Miami
- Things to do in Key West
- Things to do in Fort Lauderdale
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Boca Raton
- Things to do in Fort Myers
- Things to do in West Palm Beach
- Things to do in Freeport
- Things to do in Sarasota
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Tampa
- Things to do in Cocoa Beach
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island
- Things to do in New Providence Island