Relief Map (Mapa en Relieve)
Set inside a park filled with eucalyptus trees, this massive (130 x 60 feet / 40 x 80 meters) map offers a great way to get a feel for the country. Enjoy a view of the topographical relief from the observation tower.
Explore the map as part of a half-day or full-day sightseeing tour of Guatemala City, learning about the city’s rich history and culture while navigating the main thoroughfares and quiet squares and stopping in top attractions such as Constitution Square, Plaza Mayor, Metropolitan Cathedral, and more.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Mapa en Relieve is an ideal spot for cartography enthusiasts and families.
- Visit the exhibition hall to view the photo exhibition Guatemala in the 18th century.
- Take the kids to the playground within the park.
- Visit the Sound Forest of Hormigo with over 100 hormigo trees, each one honoring a Guatemalan composer or artistic performer.
How to Get There
Mapa en Relieve is located in Parque Minerva in the northern Zone 2 of Guatemala City. Drive or take the bus V-21 from the center of town, north along 7a Avenida. Once you reach the park, follow the signs to the map.
When to Get There
The map is open daily year-round. Be aware that on weekends, the crowds descend, particularly Sundays when the main street is closed from 10am to 2pm for Pasos y Pedales, allowing people to walk or bike on the street. If you want to feel the rhythm of daily family life in the city, this is a great time to come. In August a fair takes over the park.
Parque Minerva After the map, take time to explore the rest of thexa0 park. Created in 1881, this expansive green space offers beautiful gardens, swimming pools, a baseball field, a soccer field, and a children’s playground. The kids’ area has a small railway circuit and various other games to keep them entertained.
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Puerto Quetzal
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in León
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Plaza de la Constitución (Parque Central)
- Iglesia de Santo Domingo
- National Palace
- Popol Vuh Museum (Museo Popol Vuh)
- Metropolitan Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana)
- La Aurora Zoo (Zoólogico la Aurora)
- National Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology (MUNAE)
- IRTRA Mundo Petapa
- Mixco Viejo
- Biotopo del Quetzal
- Santo Tomas Church (Iglesia de Santo Tomás)