Three days in Kota Kinabalu means you can enjoy most of the highlights in the area, including the beaches and islands, wildlife, culture, and outdoor recreation. Here are a few ways to make the most of your 3-day journey.
Kota Kinabalu Wetland Centre
During a visit to the protected area, birdwatchers can expect to spot large egrets, kingfishers, and exotic purple herons; during periods of low tide, you can also see mud crabs and lobsters navigating the twisted roots of the mangroves. You can visit the wetlands as part of a self-guided route that features three miles (two kilometers) of wooden boardwalks and viewing platforms, all of which allow access to the canopy overlooking the mangroves.
Things to Know Before You Go
- A must-visit place for birdwatchers and nature lovers.
- The route throughout the wetlands is mostly uncovered so be sure to bring plenty of water, sunscreen, and a hat.
- There is a small admission fee to enter the wetlands.
How to Get There
From central Kota Kinabalu, take the bus towards Likas from the bus station in front of City Hall or Wawasan Plaza. Taxis from anywhere in KK come in relatively cheap, but be sure to ask your taxi driver to wait for you to avoid getting stuck after your visit.
When to Get There
The center is open from Tuesday through Sunday, 8am-6pm. Those who choose to visit first or last thing have a better chance of catching that unique encounter with a bird coming to feed in the cooler morning or evening air.
Exploring Klias Wetlands While the Kota Kinabalu Wetland Centre is most famous for its migratory birds, the Klias Wetlands—located around two hours from Kota Kinabalu by car—play host to wildlife including water buffalo, tree snakes, monitor lizards, crocodiles, and endemic Proboscis monkeys, recognizable by their huge noses and long tails. For naturalists, the wetlands are a must-visit attraction.
- Things to do in Sabah
- Things to do in Sandakan
- Things to do in Puerto Princesa
- Things to do in Kuching
- Things to do in Boracay
- Things to do in Panay Island
- Things to do in Cebu
- Things to do in Palawan
- Things to do in Visayas
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in Central Vietnam
- Signal Hill Observatory Platform
- Kota Kinabalu City Mosque (Masjid Bandaraya Kota Kinabalu)
- Sabah State Mosque (Masjid Negeri Sabah)
- Sabah Museum (Sabah State Museum)
- North Borneo Railway
- Gaya Island (Pulau Gaya)
- Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park (TARP)
- Sapi Island (Pulau Sapi)
- Manukan Island (Pulau Manukan)
- Monsopiad Cultural Village
- Mari Mari Cultural Village
- Mt. Kinabalu (Gunung Kinabalu)
- Kota Belud
- Kinabalu National Park
- Poring Hot Spring & Nature Reserve (Poring Hot Springs)