Runyon Canyon Park
On a clear day, few views of Los Angeles beat the Runyon vistas. Outdoor enthusiasts should head to the park very early—you'll have the best chance of finding a parking spot, and the weather should be milder. Choose the trail that accommodates your fitness level, and expect to see all the way from the Pacific Ocean to West Hollywood. Pair a hike with visits to Hollywood Boulevard's attractions, located just downhill from the park.
Things to know before you go
- Wear sunblock and bring your sunglasses, since Runyon Canyon Park doesn't have much shade.
- The Mulholland entrance is ideal if you want the views without the workout—it's about 15 minutes from the entrance to the overlook.
- Be sure to fill up your water bottle before your hike, at the fountain located next to the Mulholland entrance.
- There are no bathrooms at Runyon Canyon Park.
How to get there
The best way to visit Runyon Canyon Park is to drive. Head to the Fuller Avenue entrance for access to one of two steep climbs, or if you want to burn calories, combine the two climbs for a truly challenging circuit. The Mulholland entrance is another option for challenging trails, or an easier walk with great views. The parking lots tend to fill up, so expect to hunt for street parking.
When to get there
The park is open from dawn to dusk. You should visit when the sun is shining, but before it gets too hot. Plan to visit early, since it typically heats up after 8am during summer and fall. Expect clear skies—and the best views—from late November through May, and more people over the weekend. Visit midweek to avoid the crowds.
How to Make the Most of Runyon Canyon Park
If you want to take the guesswork out of the circuitous loops and trails at Runyon, plan to join for a guided tour. Group tours are a great way to meet new friends, learn about LA as you hike, and stop at the must-see Griffith Observatory—many tours take the detour. Some tours also include stops in Hollywood for sightseeing, while fitness-oriented hikes are ideal for athletic visitors.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in San Diego
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Arizona
- Hollywood Hills
- The Magic Castle
- Madame Tussauds Hollywood
- TCL Chinese Theatre
- Hard Rock Café Hollywood
- Dolby Theatre
- El Capitan Theatre
- Hollywood & Highland
- Hollywood Guinness World Records Museum
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! Hollywood
- Hollywood Museum
- Hollywood Wax Museum Los Angeles
- Egyptian Theatre
- Hollywood Bowl