Originally constructed in 1735, Mérida’s City Hall building was remodeled in both the 19th and 20th centuries. Now a staple of Mérida city sightseeing tours—most city tours will pass by and even stop at City Hall—it’s also an excellent spot for self-guided visits. However, art and history buffs should employ the services of a guide to learn more about the numerous murals and artworks within, as well as the building’s storied history.
Things to Know Before You Go
- A visit to City Hall will especially appeal to architecture lovers.
- City Hall is always free to enter.
- There’s an onsite bathroom.
- The Palacio Municipal de Mérida is fully wheelchair and stroller accessible.
How to Get There
The Palacio Municipal is situated on the west side of the Plaza Grande in Mérida’s historic downtown, opposite the MACAY Museum and San Ildefonso Cathedral. As such, most visitors find it easiest to arrive on foot, especially as parking space nearby is limited.
When to Get There
City Hall is accessible to the public from 9am to 6pm daily, although it sometimes closes for lunch in the mid-afternoon. Visit on a Sunday to enjoy the live music and dance performances which take place directly outside City Hall or head there midweek to enjoy the Palacio Municipal in relative peace and quiet.
What to do Nearby Meridá’s Palacio Municipal is situated at the heart of the city’s historic downtown, within easy walking distance from other attractions, such as the MACAY contemporary art museum, Mérida’s 16th century cathedral, and the Montejo House-Museum. Further afield still and you’ll find the Gran Museo del Mundo Maya, decadent Palacio Cantón, and Peón Contreras Theater.
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Playa del Carmen
- Things to do in Cozumel
- Things to do in Cancun
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Puerto Quetzal
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands