Brimmer Hall Plantation
Established in 1817, this historic estate is a working plantation that produces Jamaica’s famous coffee and tropical fruit. The sprawling property is located outside of Ocho Rios, in the forested hilly interior behind Port Maria. It’s well worth a day trip to experience bygone Jamaican life in a colonial plantation setting.
Travelers who explore the 2,000-acre (809-hectare) Brimmer Hall Plantation during a one-hour tour in a tractor-drawn jitney will learn how the sugar cane, coffee, and tropical fruits are harvested. Brimmer Hall boasts lavish antique furnishings and a suit of armor. After the tour, visitors can swim in the pool, enjoy a Jamaican lunch, and shop in the boutique for ceramics, rum, art, handcrafts, rum, and cigars.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The tour is suitable for solo travelers, couples, and families.
- Admission includes a guided tour.
- Reservations should be made three days in advance.
- Remember sun protection and swimwear for taking a dip in the swimming pool.
How to Get There
Brimmer Hall Plantation is about 21 miles (34 kilometers) east of Ocho Rios, in the hills near Bailey’s Vale. The estate is easily accessible by taxi. Parking is available.
When to Get There
The plantation is open weekdays year-round, 9am to 4pm. Come early to avoid the crowds.
Discover Port Maria and St. Mary Parish Make time to visit the town of Port Maria and investigate its history. The second town the Spaniards colonized, Port Maria was once a vibrant seaport. Several historic structures give glimpses into its former prosperous glory, like the elegant St. Mary Courthouse and the limestone St. Mary Parish Church, both of which overlook the palm-fringed waterfront.
- Things to do in Runaway Bay
- Things to do in Kingston
- Things to do in Trelawny
- Things to do in Falmouth
- Things to do in Montego Bay
- Things to do in Black River
- Things to do in Lucea
- Things to do in Negril
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in Puerto Plata
- Things to do in Nassau
- Things to do in Santo Domingo
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island