Columbus Park Museum
Gorgeously scenic and steeped in history, Columbus Park overlooking Discovery Bay is a favorite place for travelers to enjoy a picnic. Walk among the ruins and artifacts telling the island’s history; there’s a canoe made by the indigenous Arawak people, nautical relics, the last steam locomotive used by the Jamaica Railway Corporation, an intact section of an old sugar estate aqueduct, and 18th-century cannons. Bring a swimsuit to take a dip in the bay, or at one of the white sand beaches on the east side of the bay.
Travelers can experience Columbus Park and other island attractions as part of half- or full-day private or group tours leaving from Montego Bay, Runaway Bay, or Grand Palladium. Some tours include lunch or a shopping excursion.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Columbus Park is suitable for solo travelers, couples, or families with children.
- Entrance is free.
- Ample parking and restrooms are available.
- Food is available on-site at Scotchie's, a restaurant known for delicious jerk chicken and pork dishes, and Walter's Bar, where refreshing beers and cocktails await.
- Remember sun protection, swimwear, and a towel.
- Provisions for a picnic at the park can be found in nearby Montego Bay or at the stores, taverns, and snack bars serving hot food in adjacent Rio Bueno.
How to Get There
Columbus Park is in Discovery Bay in the Parish of St. Ann, west of Ocho Rios along the A1 Highway.
When to Get There
Columbus Park is open year-round daily, 12pm until 8pm. Offseason spring and fall months may bring more rain, but are generally less crowded.
Northern Coast Beaches
Before or after a visit to Columbus Park, travel east of the sprawling Discovery Bay where there are miles of beaches for relaxing and sunbathing. Puerto Seco Beach and Runaway Bay are tranquil alternatives to the more crowded beaches in the center of Ocho Rios.
- Things to do in Runaway Bay
- Things to do in Kingston
- Things to do in Trelawny
- Things to do in Falmouth
- Things to do in Montego Bay
- Things to do in Black River
- Things to do in Lucea
- Things to do in Negril
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in Puerto Plata
- Things to do in Nassau
- Things to do in Santo Domingo
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island