Quebec Lower Town (Basse-Ville)
Lower Town is the oldest part of Quebec City and contains a high concentration of historic buildings and sights. Some visitors wander the streets independently, perusing the galleries and boutiques of the area. Others explore on biking and walking tours, which focus on key historical locales, including Place Royale and the Notre-Dame-des-Victoires Church, one of the oldest stone churches in North America, as well as following scenic pathways near the St. Lawrence River.
Things to Know Before You Go
Lower Town is a must-see for all first-time visitors to Quebec City.
Wear comfortable shoes as there are lots of cobbled surfaces to contend with in this neighborhood.
The funicular that connects Quebec City’s Upper Town and Lower Town is wheelchair accessible, as are many attractions in Lower Town, including the Museum of Civilization (Musée de la Civilisation). The streets themselves, many of which are cobbled and sloping, may prove challenging to wheelchair users.
How to Get There
Lower Town and Upper Town are connected by about 30 sets of stairways. The Old Quebec Funicular, accessible via Rue Petit-Champlain in Lower Town connects to Dufferin Terrace in Upper Town, linking the two parts of the city.
When to Get There
With its European-style architecture and small street-side boutiques, Lower Town is charming year-round. Go in summer when the weather is warm, so you can wander in comfort and enjoy alfresco meals on restaurant terraces. In winter, the snow-sprinkled streets are picturesque, though the subzero temperatures may be a challenge for those not used to such conditions.
Exploring Lower Town
Many visitors’ explorations of Lower Town begin at the Old Port (Vieux-Port), where cruise ships dock. From here, browse food stalls at the Old Port Market (Marché du Vieux-Port) and stop by the Museum of Civilization, which hosts exhibits focusing on local cultures and people. Other points of interest in Lower Town include the Naval Museum of Quebec, situated on the riverfront, and the large-scale Fresque des Québécois mural near Place Royale.
- Petit Champlain District (Quartier Petit Champlain)
- Old Quebec (Vieux-Québec)
- Quebec Royal Square (Place-Royale)
- Notre-Dame-des-Victoires Church (Église Notre-Dame-des-Victoires)
- Fort Museum (Musée du Fort)
- Notre-Dame de Québec Basilica-Cathedral
- Upper Town (Haute-Ville)
- Museum of Francophone America (Musée de l'Amérique Francophone)
- Quebec Museum of Civilization (Musée de la Civilisation)
- Citadel of Quebec (Citadelle de Quebec)
- Port of Quebec (Port de Québec)
- Fortifications of Quebec National Historic Site
- Dufferin Terrace (Terrasse Dufferin)
- Quebec City Old Port (Vieux-Port)
- Plains of Abraham (Plaines d'Abraham)