Notre-Dame-des-Victoires Church (Église Notre-Dame-des-Victoires)
The Notre-Dame-des-Victoires Church holds an important place in the history of Quebec City, and it is featured in many walking tours of the city. The narrow, often crowded streets that surround the church make it perfect for exploring on foot. Hop-on hop-off bus tours of Quebec City provide another convenient way to visit the church, as the nearest stop is a short stroll away.
Things to Know Before You Go
This church is a must-see for history buffs and art lovers, as there are beautiful artworks inside.,
Admission is free.
Some of Old Quebec’s most charming shops are located in the streets around Notre-Dame-des-Victoires, so save some time to browse after visiting the church.
The cobblestones on Place Royale, where the church is located, can be challenging for visitors in wheelchairs, but the nearby funicular is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Notre-Dame-des-Victoires Church is in Quebec City’s Lower Town, where narrow streets mean the most practical approach is on foot or via a hop-on hop-off tour. Walking from the Upper Town requires negotiating a long row of steep stairs, but these can be avoided by using the Old Quebec Funicular that links the Upper Town and Lower Town. If you’re driving from outside of Old Quebec, parking is available on the nearby St. Lawrence River waterfront.
When to Get There
Notre-Dame-des-Victoires is open to visitors Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. If you’re visiting Sunday, keep in mind that Mass is held twice in French. During the winter, visiting hours extend past dusk, but to see the beautiful stained glass windows at their best, plan to arrive in daylight.
Notre-Dame-des-Victoires in Film
Does this church look familiar? It should. Notre-Dame-des-Victoires was used as a film location for the Tom Hanks movie “Catch Me if You Can,” as well as the 2004 film “Taking Lives.”
- Quebec Royal Square (Place-Royale)
- Old Quebec (Vieux-Québec)
- Quebec Lower Town (Basse-Ville)
- Petit Champlain District (Quartier Petit Champlain)
- Quebec Museum of Civilization (Musée de la Civilisation)
- Fort Museum (Musée du Fort)
- Notre-Dame de Québec Basilica-Cathedral
- Museum of Francophone America (Musée de l'Amérique Francophone)
- Upper Town (Haute-Ville)
- Port of Quebec (Port de Québec)
- Quebec City Old Port (Vieux-Port)
- Citadel of Quebec (Citadelle de Quebec)
- Dufferin Terrace (Terrasse Dufferin)
- Fortifications of Quebec National Historic Site
- Plains of Abraham (Plaines d'Abraham)