Fleet Science Center
With its prime location in the middle of Balboa Park, the Fleet Science Center is easy to visit during a day of park activities. If you plan to visit other museums and attractions around San Diego, be sure check out attraction passes like the Go San Diego Card to save time and money on admissions. The museum’s permanent exhibits provide all kinds of opportunities for learning, no matter your age. Themes include electricity, designing and building, water, energy, and a special section just for young kids. The museum also attractions visiting exhibitions such as “Pause|Play.”
Things to know before you go
- A casual café serves food items like sandwiches, pizza, and salads, plus beer and wine.
- The North Star Science Store offers educational gifts and souvenirs and can be accessed without paying the museum admission fee.
- The building’s second level is accessible via elevator.
- There are wheelchairs available for use on site.
How to get there
The Fleet Science Center is located just west of Park Boulevard on El Prado in Balboa Park’s main museum area. It’s accessible via city bus 7 with stops along Park Boulevard.
When to get there
The center is open every day from late morning to early evening. There are seemingly endless events, from IMAX movies to interactive workshops to the San Diego Festival of Science and Engineering, so check the museum website for dates and details.
If you can’t get enough of museums, you’ve come to the right place, as Balboa Park is bursting with cultural institutions. Within the same area as the Fleet Science Center, you’ll also find the San Diego Natural History Museum, San Diego History Center, Timken Museum of Art, San Diego Museum of Art, San Diego Art Institute, San Diego Museum of Man, Museum of Photographic Arts, San Diego Model Railroad Museum, and Mingei International Museum.
- San Diego History Center
- San Diego Natural History Museum (The Nat)
- Inez Grant Parker Memorial Rose Garden
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum (SDMRM)
- Museum of Photographic Arts
- Spanish Village Art Center
- Japanese Friendship Garden
- El Prado
- San Diego Museum of Art (SDMA)
- Spreckels Organ Pavilion
- Mingei International Museum
- Old Globe Theater
- San Diego Museum of Man (SDMM)
- San Diego Zoo
- Balboa Park