For many travelers, Isla Verde (which means Green Island in Spanish) is their best beach experience while in Puerto Rico, thanks to its mix of lively nightlife, water sports such parasailing and jet skiing, and stretches of laid-back beaches. With plenty of beachfront bars and restaurants and a main shopping boulevard, Isla Verde is a popular booking spot for those vacationing in Puerto Rico. Snorkeling isn’t ideal here since the waters can be rough and the visibility not great. Instead, visitors usually head to other nearby sites to snorkel.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Isla Verde is popular among couples staying in San Juan.
- Water temperatures are usually around 80°F (26°).
- The beach can get busy in the afternoon, so plan to arrive early to snag a spot on the sand.
How to Get There
Located east of Santurce, next to the airport, Isla Verde is about a 15-minute car ride from Old San Juan and about a 35-minute drive to El Yunque National Rainforest. You can also rent a car at the airport or easily grab an Uber to visit attractions. The T5, 21 and 53 buses travel between Old San Juan, Condado, and Isla Verde.
When to Get There
Puerto Rico’s peak season occurs during the winter months (from December to mid-April), so expect the most tourists then. Hurricane season takes place from the beginning of June to the end of November, all throughout the Caribbean. You’ll find the best prices then, but consider purchasing travel insurance just in case. Mid-April to June is considered the best time to visit.
Pine Grove Beach Pine Grove Beach is one of the beaches that make up the Isla Verde area, along with Isla Verde Beach and Carolina Beach. Here, you’ll find more families because of the calm waters. It’s also popular with stand-up paddle boarders and beginner surfers. Beach chairs and umbrellas are available to rent.
- Pine Grove Beach
- La Calle Loiza
- San Juan Bay
- Museum of Art of Puerto Rico (Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico)
- Luis A. Ferré Performing Arts Center (Centro de Bellas Artes Luis A. Ferré)
- Museum of History, Anthropology and Art (Museo de Historia, Antropología y Arte)
- Mercado de Río Piedras
- Fine Arts Miramar
- Old San Juan Piers
- Castillo San Cristobal
- La Fortaleza (The Fortress)
- Paseo de la Princesa
- Chapel of Christ (Capilla del Cristo)
- San Juan Cathedral (Catedral de San Juan Bautista)
- Old San Juan