No trip to Japan’s capital would be complete without some time spent in Shibuya, and just about every city sightseeing tour stops here. For a deeper dive into the neighborhood’s sensical experience, take a nighttime walking food tour of the district to sample local favorites like takoyaki (octopus balls), okonomiyaki (savory pancake), and Kobe beef skewers. Alternatively, take a bit of Shibuya home with you by opting for a photo shoot at the famous crossing in a traditional kimono or samurai armor.
Recent reviews from experiences in Tokyo
Things to Know Before You Go
Shibuya is a must-see neighborhood for all first-time visitors to Tokyo.
Wear comfortable walking shoes; there’s a lot to see and do in this neighborhood.
Don’t forget to bring your camera—the colorful neon lights, eccentric fashion, and throngs of people make it quite photogenic.
How to Get There
The easiest way to get to Shibuya is to ride the train to Shibuya Station. The famous crosswalk sits just in front of the station’s Hachiko Exit.
When to Get There
There’s always something going on in Shibuya, but the neighborhood is at its liveliest (and most photogenic) in the evenings, when the neon lights are flashing and local commuters are out en masse.
Attractions in Shibuya
Shibuya has more on offer than just excellent food and shopping. The neighborhood is home to the famous Meiji Shrine, as well other points of interest like the Toguri Museum of Art and the beloved Hachikō statue. During the spring months, the cherry blossoms of Yoyogi Park explode into beautiful bloom.
- Things to do in Kanto
- Things to do in Musashino
- Things to do in Kawasaki
- Things to do in Kawagoe
- Things to do in Chiba
- Things to do in Kamakura
- Things to do in Narita
- Things to do in Kyoto
- Things to do in Osaka
- Things to do in Sapporo
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Tokyo Prefecture
- Things to do in Saitama Prefecture
- Things to do in Nagano
- Things to do in Chiba Prefecture
- Yoyogi Park (Yoyogi Koen)
- Nezu Museum (Nezu Bijutsukan)
- Meiji Jingu Stadium
- Tokyo Photographic Art Museum (Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography)
- Tokyo Camii & Turkish Culture Center
- National Art Center Tokyo (NACT)
- Meiji Shrine (Meiji Jingu)
- Mori Art Museum (Mori Bijutsukan)
- Tokyo City View Observation Deck (Tokyo Sky Deck)
- Japanese Sword Museum (Token Hakubutsukan)
- 21_21 Design Sight
- Tokyo Midtown