Shinjuku Park (Shinjuku Gyoen)
Enter through one of three access gates (Shinjuku to the north, Okido to the east, and Sendagaya to the south), and grab a map to help plan your visit. Explore the three distinct gardens, including Japanese traditional, French formal, and English landscape, with features such as ponds, lawns, bridges, topiaries, and statues. The park includes more than 10,000 trees, such as cherry, plum, and maple trees, and plentiful flowers, such as chrysanthemums, roses, and camellias.
You can visit the park independently, or as part of a half-day or full-day sightseeing tour of Tokyo, which may include other popular attractions such as Imperial Palace, Meiji Shrine, and Tsukiji Fish Market. Opt for a private tour if you want to fully customize your itinerary.
Things to know before you go
- The park charges an entry fee to everyone 16 and over.
- Photography is restricted during the high season, holidays, and weekends.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes, as there is a lot of ground to cover.
- On-site facilities include a greenhouse, teahouses, and a restaurant.
How to get there
The park is located in the Shinjuku neighborhood. It’s about a 10-minute walk from Shinjuku Station (South Exit) and about a 5-minute walk from Shinjuku Gyoen-mae Station (Exit 1). Yoyogi Station and Shinjuku San-chome Station are also located nearby.
When to get there
The park is open Tuesdays through Sundays, with holiday closures from December 29 to January 3. The park is also open on Mondays during the popular cherry blossom (late March to early April) and chrysanthemum (early November) seasons.
Popular Parks in Tokyo
There are a number of parks and green spaces in Tokyo that offer an escape from the urban sprawl of the city. Popular options include Yoyogi Park, Imperial Palace East Garden, Shiba Park, Ueno Park, Meiji Jingu Gaien, and the Koishikawa Botanical Garden.
- Things to do in Kanto
- Things to do in Musashino
- Things to do in Kawasaki
- Things to do in Kawagoe
- Things to do in Kamakura
- Things to do in Narita
- Things to do in Kyoto
- Things to do in Osaka
- Things to do in Sapporo
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Tokyo Prefecture
- Things to do in Saitama Prefecture
- Things to do in Nagano
- Things to do in Chiba Prefecture
- Hanazono Shrine (Hanazono Jinja)
- Shinjuku Golden Gai
- Robot Restaurant
- Memory Lane (Omoide Yokocho)
- Meiji Jingu Stadium
- Meiji Shrine (Meiji Jingu)
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office (TMG)
- Jindai Botanical Gardens
- Oedo Onsen Monogatari
- Sky Circus Sunshine60 Observatory
- Thunder Gate (Kaminarimon)
- Japanese Sword Museum (Token Hakubutsukan)
- Akasaka Palace (State Guest House)