11 hours (Approx.)
Offered in: English
Leave the planning and driving to a train conductor while you travel on the Northern Explorer, a long-distance scenic train service running from Auckland to Wellington. Experience the beauty and variety of New Zealand—from the farmlands of Waikato to the volcanic peaks of the Central Plateau and the sparkling Kapiti Coast—while riding a comfortable train. A great way to trade the grind of vacation travel for a bit of romance.
- Skip bus tours and driving for the romance of train travel
- Journey in trains with award-winning carriages and specially designed seats
- Take advantage of open-air viewing decks and GPS-triggered audio commentary
- Journey through Tongariro National Park and the Raurimu Spiral
Saved to wishlist!
One Way Rail Journey
GPS triggered audio commentary
All taxes, fees and handling charges
Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
Food and Drinks (available to purchase)
Hotel pickup and drop-off
Excess luggage charges (where applicable)
Departure & Return
Parnell, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
District of Freedom#8573311~!#, Bunny Street, Pipitea, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Wheelchair accessible, please advise at time of booking if travelling with a wheelchair.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Please arrive at least 20 minutes prior to scheduled departure and check in at the station to receive your boarding pass
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- OPERATED BY KiwiRail LTD
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What is the policy on sanitization during Northern Explorer Journey - Auckland to Wellington by Train?
A:The policies on sanitization are:
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- "If you're going to Wellington from Auckland, and you have a day to get there, I highly recommend this train!" See review
Compare Similar Experiences
Northern Explorer Journey - Auckland to Wellington by Train
Explore Similar Things to Do
Rail ServicesTransportation ServicesTransfers & Ground TransportAucklandRail Services - North IslandTransportation Services - North IslandRail Services - Waiheke IslandTransportation Services - Waiheke IslandRail Services - TaurangaTransportation Services - TaurangaCategory
Ports of AucklandAuckland ZooSt Patrick's CathedralAuckland Fish MarketOne Tree HillSkyWalk North Head Historic Reserve (Maungauika)Auckland Art Gallery Toi o TamakiCornwall ParkNew Zealand Maritime MuseumOdyssey Sensory MazeMuseum of Transport and Technology (MOTAT)Silo ParkGlenbrook Vintage RailwaySculptureumStardome Observatory & PlanetariumAotea SquareAuckland Harbour Bridge ClimbAuckland War Memorial MuseumAuckland Ferry Terminal