- Ride the mountain railway to the viewing platform
- Enjoy a café-style lunch
- Take a guided walk through pristine rain forest
- Small-group tour limited to nine people ensures a personalized experience
Departure & Return
If you have not confirmed an inner city hotel pick up with us then our central meeting point is SkyCity Grand Hotel (90 Federal Street). If you are meeting here will need to be confirmed with us. Please call to confirm the night prior - 0800 423 224
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
After the drive to Coromandel township, your first stop is Driving Creek Railway and Potteries, the former home of artist, conservationist and engineer Barry Brickell. From here, hop aboard New Zealand's only narrow-gauge mountain railway with your guide.
The train journey takes you through tunnels and over viaducts through a replanted native kauri forest en route to a mountain-top viewing station where you’ll have a grand vista of the Hauraki Gulf. Disembark and follow your guide on a short walk through the forest to learn about the kauri trees that once covered the Coromandel Peninsula.
Following a drive across the mountain divide, descend down to Hot Water Beach. After lunch at a local cafe, meander along the shoreline and dig your own thermal pool to soak in the natural thermal springs that bubble up through the golden sand at low tide.
Finish your full-day tour at nearby Cathedral Cove, a must-see Coromandel destination where the Pacific Ocean washes through a cathedral-like arched cavern. (Please note: The walk down to the arch is over uneven surfaces, with steep inclines and dependent on weather conditions. Please be prepared.)
Snap plenty of photos before rejoining the vehicle for return transport to Auckland and drop-off at your hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- A reasonable level of walking ability required and shoes with a good grip are advised
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Minimum 2 adults required for this tour to run
- Not recommended for infants or people with motion sickness sensitivities.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY Bush and Beach
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands