- Small group full-day tour of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and Hilo
- View the Halemaumau crater, said by native Hawaiians to be the home of Pele, goddess of fire
- Get great views of Hilo Bay from Liliuokalani Gardens
- Taste fresh coffee and Big Island style treats at a local chocolate factory
- Take an easy walk to Rainbow Falls and look for sea turtles at a black-sand beach on the Keaukaha coast
- Includes private vehicle and guide, bottled water, snacks, and hotel pickup and drop-off
Departure & Return
Please arrive 15 minutes before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
Outside of Hilo, make a stop at Wailuku River State Park and marvel at Rainbow Falls, where occasionally it’s possible to spot a rainbow when the light hits the curtain of mist. Later, upon entering Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, your guide will make sure you have ample time to experience the most popular sights, including the rim of Kilauea and Haleama’uma’u Crater.
Throughout the park, you’ll notice steam vents rising from the rock and land that’s just recently been formed, and when driving the famous Chain of Craters Road, the barren black landscape in every direction is a reminder this Earth is still raw.
At every stop throughout the tour, your guide is there to answer questions and elaborate on the history and geology, and since the tour itinerary is completely flexible, you’re free to enjoy a little more time at the places that interest you the most.
Finally, having scoured this UNESCO listed National Park and witnessed Earth being formed, this Big Island volcano tour finishes back at your original pickup location.l.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately (be prepared for sun, wind and rain).
- Covered walking shoes are required and a jacket is highly recommended.
- HOTEL pick-up is offered for this tour in the HILO area only. We highly recommend accommodations in Hilo. If you are staying in Kona or outside of Hilo, we will arrange to meet you at the Hilo Mo'oheau Bus Terminal (please confirm at time of booking).
- For CRUISE SHIP passengers, we pick-up directly at Hilo Harbor and will adjust the tour time as needed to accommodate your ships time in port.
- For a one DAY TRIP to the Big Island, please make your travel arrangements to and from the Hilo International Airport. Please provide your flight details at time of booking.
- Kilauea volcano is an active volcano, you may be exposed to volcanic gas on this tour.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- OPERATED BY Mauka Makai Adventures
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- "Josh also had umbrellas handy for us and took us to a local eatery that served pure deliciousness!" See review