- Watch for Dolphins & Whales on the ferry journey (30 mins each way)
- Walk to amazing “Painted Cliffs” and wander amongst the unusual rock formation
- Walk around and discover and the convict history at the Darlington World Heritage convict site
- Relax and take in all the stunning secluded bays and beaches in this paradise setting
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
Please arrive 30 minutes before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
Upon arrival on the island, start your walking tour with your guide to take in the scenic landscape. Look for resident wildlife such as Tasmanian devils in the wild, along with other animals such as wallabies, kangaroos, Cape Barren Geese, wombats, and little penguins. Explore the painted cliffs and pristine white-sand beaches, swim in sheltered bays, and scan the ocean for dolphins, seals, penguins, and migrating whales (seasonal). Throughout the day, your guide shares informative commentary about the island's history and wildlife.
Expect to walk at a leisurely pace on walking trails that are suitable for people with a moderate level of fitness. Please wear good walking shoes, and bring a day pack with all-weather clothing and swim gear.
Maria Island does not have cars or shops. Bring snacks and lunch; there will be a stop in the morning to purchase food along the way.
At the end of the day, your tour ends with hotel drop-off in Hobart.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age to participate in tour is 8 years
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- This is an active tour and walking is involved; a suitable level of general health & fitness and physical abilities is essential
- We provide accurate interpretation, and keep wildlife disturbance to a minimum by viewing from appropriate distances and informing our guests how to view wildlife with patience and respect. Activities are always confined to tracks and boardwalks to minimize negative impacts.
- Hotel pickup time is between 6:25am and 6:55am depending on your location. Hotel pickup is available from central city Hotels and Hostels ( no AirBnB’s). Please arrange pickup from your hotel at least 48 hours prior to departure with the tour operator.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- It is very important to be on time for your pickup, as we have a time line to keep to ensure we do not miss our ferry to Maria Island. We have very limited capacity to wait for late passengers and we may have to make the unfortunate decision to depart without you! We aim to leave Hobart at 6:55am - so if you have any concerns about your pick up - our phone line is open at 7.00am, please call us promptly on 03 6231 5390.
- There are no shops on Maria, and limited drinking water, so make sure you bring enough water and food for your day out. There will be a brief stop on the way to the Ferry for some last minute food purchases - sandwiches/rolls etc. And there is normally a chance to buy some takeaway food on the return trip back to Hobart.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 19 travelers
- OPERATED BY Tours Tasmania
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff