- 1- or 2-day self-guided canoe tour in Nitmiluk Gorge
- Paddle through some of the 13 gorges in Nitmiluk National Park
- Discover the waterways of the Katherine River
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Family friendly
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
Departure & Return
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
All tour options begin with a scenic boat journey through the first gorge before continuing to explore the second gorge and beyond by canoe. For your self-guided canoe tour, you must be able to carry the canoes if you plan to go further than the second gorge.
All of the gorges are separated by barriers of natural rock, therefore to access the next gorge, manual portage of canoes is required. This can be quite strenuous in some sections.
Choose from the following tours:
Malappar Traveller – Second and Third Gorge Experience
Canoe the second gorge to immerse yourself in the natural beauty of Jawoyn Country. Wade in shallow pools between the first and second gorge, or head to Golden Falls to see ancient Jawoyn rock art in the third gorge. Moderate to high fitness level is required for this route.
Kuluyampi Explorer – Journey Beyond (Third Gorge Plus)
Visit the vortex holes drilled into the rocks at the top of the third gorge, explore the walking tracks, or relax on the beaches of Smitt Rock between the fourth and fifth gorge. Moderate to high fitness level is required.
Barrak Barrak – 2-day adventure
Take two days to journey further on the ultimate canoe adventure through the Nitmiluk Gorge river system. Camp out under the Jawoyn night sky in the serenity of the gorge. Only limited numbers of people are allowed on the water for this tour. High fitness level is required.
Please note: A permit is required to camp within the gorge system. This can be obtained from Parks and Wildlife after a confirmed Nitmiluk reservation has been made. Permits attract a nightly fee, not inclusive in the hire amount. Permits must be paid in cash (correct change). There are no cash/card facilities for Permits.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Please meet 30 minutes prior to departure time at Nitmiluk Boat Jetty.
- PLEASE NOTE: Please ensure that you are sun smart and wear a shirt, hat and sunscreen, and wear mosquito repellent to protect yourself. Take along plenty of water and keep personal belongings to a minimum.
- SEASONAL: During the months of approximately December – May, canoe hire does not operate for safety reasons, due to poor weather and perilous river conditions. The canoeing season will recommence once Parks and Wildlife have completed their annual safety and crocodile survey.
- AGE RESTRICTIONS: Children under the age of 5 years (inclusive) are not permitted to canoe due to safety regulations. Children aged between the ages of 6 – 12 years must be accompanied by an adult.
- BEFORE YOU GO: Refundable Cash or Pre-Authorisations are required prior to commencing Canoe Adventure Tours. For day use, the amount will be $50.00 per canoe; the 2 day hire will attract $60.00 per canoe.
- MANUAL PORTAGE: Manual Portage between all gorges in requires should you wish to explore past the second gorge. Portages vary in difficulty and length.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- OPERATED BY Nitmiluk Tours
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
See all safety measures taken by Nitmiluk (Katherine) Gorge Canoe Adventure Tours.
- "Whilst it was a bit of a challenge to get the kayak from one gorge to another over the rocks on my own, it was a very worthwhile experience and a wonderful way to enjoy the gorge." See review