Explore our promoted experiences
- Explore Kauai's only navigable river with a guide
- Great way to experience the Garden Isle's lush scenery by land and by water
- Learn about the Wailua River's importance to ancient Hawaiians
- Feast on a riverside picnic lunch
- All kayaking equipment included
Departure & Return
New location: We are located inside the Coconut Marketplace. "Meet us under the Water Tower" at our new kiosk.
What To Expect
Soak up the verdant jungle scenery and views of volcanic peaks in the distance on a 2-mile (3.2-km) paddle upriver towards the north fork. Feel transported back in time as you pass by the traditional huts of Kamokila Village and hear tales of the native Hawaiian people who once lived around and traveled the river more than 1,500 years ago.
Take a break from paddling to explore the rain forest by foot on a moderate hike to the Ulewehi Waterfall, where you’ll be rewarded with views of the majestic falls cascading 120 feet (36 meters) down a mountain cliff. Recharge with a riverside picnic lunch of fresh and healthy island fare including vegetarian options before hopping back in your kayak for the return trip to the starting point.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age is 5 years old
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Trail conditions vary from super dry to very muddy depending on recent rain
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Hiking sandals like Tevas or Keens, water shoes or sneakers (your feet will get wet & muddy).
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY Kayak Adventures, Inc.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- "Be sure to shoes that you can hike through a little bit of water, because your shoes will get wet." See review
- "Being in fairly good shape is a plus, as paddling a kayak significant distance and hiking over muddy-rocky terrain is required, but the visit to Secret Falls (lunch-snack provided) is well worth it!" See review
- "Trail was muddy so make sure you wear water hiking shoes, like Merrell H20 Hiking shoes." See review