Explore our promoted experiences
- A visit to Maui is not complete without experiencing Haleakala Crater—a magnificent amphitheater of silence and a place of beauty that always evokes awe
- Hike into both sides of Haleakala; each environment is very different from the other, so both should be experienced to gain a true appreciation for this natural phenomenon.
- Uncover the hidden beauty of the crater, including breathtaking desert scenery
- Lunch and snacks are provided
Departure & Return
The Park & Ride meeting location is along a large concrete wall with a single row of parking facing Hwy 380 west of Hwy 311 just before entering Kahului. • At the Intersection of Highways 311 & 380. • GPS coordinates: 20 degrees, 52 minutes, 30 seconds N, 156 degrees, 27 minutes, 43 seconds W
What To Expect
This National Park has more endangered species than any other park in America and is a place that Native Hawaiians consider a sacred home to the gods. In addition to archaeological sites, visitors might encounter endangered birds such as nene geese or petrels, and walk past blooming silverswords that spring from the rocky terrain.
Towards the beginning of this Haleakala Crater hike, stop to acclimate at 8,000 feet along a thin, lava-strewn trail, where you’ll also enjoy some hearty snacks with a view of the crater floor. Next, continue up towards 10,000 ft (3,048m), summit, where you’ll hike towards cinder cones bursting from the Earth with serene, multihued beauty. There’s a mystical silence up here in the crater that’s only broken by the wind, and occasionally the sound of volcanic cinder as it crunches beneath your feet.
Before you’re finished hiking Haleakala, be sure to take a long look around to savor the mountain scenery, and fill up your camera with dozens of photos to help you remember the beauty. Eventually, this hiking adventure ends with a ride down the mountain and transport back to Kahului with a camera full of breathtaking photos.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Minimum age is 8 years
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements (4 passengers minimum). In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Maximum 6 passengers per booking. For larger groups, please contact the suppllier directly.
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- OPERATED BY Hike Maui
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- "Just enough hiking with some very nice people ,small group." See review