Explore our promoted experiences
- Historical New Orleans food walking tour
- Visit restaurants that predate the Civil War
- Discuss recipes with a guide and the chefs, when possible
- Sample delectable Creole cuisine including pralines and po'boys
- Learn about the diverse culinary origins of Louisiana’s rich cuisine
Departure & Return
Please enter SoBou Restaurant (310 Chartres St) using the side entrance located at the top of the valet ramp.
What To Expect
Your first stop is SoBou, part of the acclaimed Commander’s Palace enterprise. Relish as you are treated to chicken and andouille sausage gumbo. If you’d like, grab yourself a drink at the bar before continuing on (own expense). Then, make a quick pit stop at a popular hot sauce bar to sample dozens of hot sauce varieties.
Continue to Leah’s Pralines, where you can sample a Creole classic or a new innovation such as bacon pecan brittle.
As you walk through the French Quarter, colorful signs for traditional po'boys or meat‐filled muffulettas may beckon you. Don’t resist! Your guide leads you to NOLA Poboys. Hear about seafood harvesting in Louisiana before biting into a fresh‐made oyster or shrimp po'boy.
Your final stop is the Creole Cookery for red beans and rice, followed by our dessert course of bananas foster bread pudding. As you indulge in these tasty bites, learn about the many ethnic culinary traditions that have influenced Creole cuisine. Your guide also explains Louisiana’s unique geography and the linguistic origins of classic plates like étouffée and jambalaya.
By the end of the tour, you have a full belly and a better understanding of the fundamental dishes that make up New Orleans cuisine. Please note that the stops are based on availability, and may be subject to change.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- This tour features a set menu. We do not offer a gluten-free, pork-free or vegetarian option.
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- There is no charge for infants in strollers
- All venues subject to change based on availability
- Anyone 12 years of age and over must provide proof of at least one dose of an approved COVID vaccine or negative PCR test within 72 hours to enter venues.
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 18 travelers
- OPERATED BY Doctor Gumbo Tours
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
See all safety measures taken by New Orleans Food and History Walking Tour.